Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bad Weather = Good Pictures, Sometimes.

 Dusting of Snow
 A light dusting of snow coats the foreground while low clouds linger below the rim of the canyon.

Bad weather, or what some refer to as bad weather is actually good weather for landscape photographers seeking to stand out from the crowd. Good landscape images can also be made without a cloud in the sky, but clouds and moisture help add drama and a distinct mood. Although every storm I venture out into may not result in an image, at least I get some exercise and fresh air. Many times I find myself soaking wet from head to toe, or shivering cold waiting for an image in my minds eye that never materializes. It's OK though, that just means I get to return to the same beautiful spot and try again when the next storm rolls in. Both of these images are taken with my H4D.


Flooded Trail
Taken along the East Rim Trail during the recent torrential Rain storm, this image shows the trail covered by flood water. To get here during the storm was an adventure. I had to cross a narrow space where the water ran deep, it felt like I would be washed away into the canyon with one wrong move. When I came to the deep section I debated on turning around and calling it a day on this trail, but my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to wade through it. I wanted to see what was further up the canyon. When I reached the top of the east rim it was covered in a dense fog and the image I imagined was nowhere to be found, so I came back to this location and composed the image you see here. I've hiked this trail many times and never have I seen it flood like this.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sitting in my kitchen in West Allis, WI, the wind is howelling and it's cold. It's mid May and it feels like late November. Looking at your new photos David and in anticipation of being in Springdale next week has put a smile on my heart! See you soon!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete